Friday, February 4, 2011

Half Day

Today was a much needed half day. This is the first chance I've had all week to catch up on laundry, cleaning my room, sleep and, of course, my blog. A solder left the office for training and another went back to the states so I have been bogged down with a lot of extra work. I like it though because it keeps me busy and time goes faster.

My goal today was to get a replacement necklace for Vayda.  I sent the girls camels and necklaces a couple weeks ago, and when they arrived in Georgia the box was completely ruined. Someone must have been playing soccer with it because it had a large hole on the side. When opened, the necklace I bought for Vayda wasn't in there. Speaking of packages...I have received my first packages here this week! How exciting. The first was from Rachel and it was very yummy cupcakes! The maker put them in jars so they stay fresh and I can eat them with a fork right out of the jar. The second package was from Mom and Dad and it had coffee, Valentines candy and a very entertaining book. My office appreciates the good dark roast blends.

Today was the first day that I've missed breakfast. I guess I needed the sleep. I couldn't believe it this morning when I woke up and my watch said 0930. I guess not having windows and a warm bed makes it easy to sleep late. (I find it funny that I consider 0930 late)

I craved breakfast meats and egg and remembered there's a Burger King in Zone 1. I hoped that they were still serving breakfast, showered, shaved and was on my way to "meet the king". It's about a half mile walk to the PX and food court in Zone 1 and the whole walk was spent trying to adjust to the bright morning sun. I feel like a cave dwelling hobbit in these barracks. My room is dimly lit with a floor lamp in a room with no windows, in a converted warehouse with no windows. When you walk outside you feel kind of like a vampire.

I arrived at Burger King and wasn't expecting the breakfast negotiations that I was about to endure. All I wanted was a croissant sandwich with sausage, egg and cheese. I was first asked if I wanted a meal, I declined. Then I was asked if I wanted an orange juice, I declined. I asked if they had coffee, no, they didn't. However, I was offered an onion ring for the price of a coffee. Because, when one doesn't get their morning coffee, obviously onion rings would suffice. I turned down the onion ring deal and was finally offered an apple pie. So, their theory of attacking you with food options until you gave up worked, I accepted the dollar apple pie and was on my way to find coffee.

I stopped at the green beans and got my "Cup of Joe" and was off to find a nice place to sit and eat my late breakfast. I decided it was such a nice day that I would eat outside on the dining pavilion by Burger King. I sat down, got my sandwich out, had a drink of coffee and started to eat. As I was eating I couldn't help but notice a sparrow sitting on the other side of the bench watching me. Then another arrived...and another, then a few more. Soon, I had an audience of about 20 sparrows intently watching me chow down on BK. It was quite an uncomfortable feeling, so, I gave in and took a small piece of croissant off and tossed it in their general direction. However, I didn't notice the whole flock of sparrows on an adjacent building. Before that crumb hit the ground I had at least 50 crazed sparrows all fighting over the same crumb. Once it was devoured they all sat completely still and watched me. I tossed a second morsel and sparrows that were behind me flew right over my shoulder to get their shot at some food. I was greatly outnumbered at this point and the birds slowly started getting closer and closer. They knew that if they wanted they could come in for the steal. I weighed my options and retreated to the indoors where I could eat in peace. So, that answers my question of why I never see people eating on the pavilion.

After finishing my breakfast inside I explored the PX for the replacement necklace for Vayda. I found a nice, over the top pink necklace that screamed princess. The guy started bartering and I really didn't have the patience, but I still ended up with a matching pink bracelet. I went to the post office and waited in line a good 45 minutes for someone to check my items. Once cleared, the box was taped up and shipped off to its final destination. I had just enough time to make it back to the barracks to change, then grab lunch to go so I could eat at the office.

Every other day this week has been work, eat, sleep, so this is actually the most interesting day I've had in awhile haha. It is getting late and I have to be up at 0500 to run tomorrow morning. Have a good night/morning/day everyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always entertaining and informative--thanks for writing.
--dad

Nancy Bauman said...

I agree with your Dad! Thanks for writing, John.

Anonymous said...

It's always interesting to read your blog. Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed on how your life is going. Stay safe and know we thank you for serving for us.
Carol