Thursday, February 24, 2011

A salute to my amazing wife

I was putting things into perspective today. The soldier gets so much respect. They are the ones that travel across the world to do what they have to do to support operations out here. Yes, some soldiers have it hard, but I guarantee you many wives at home have it even harder. As I was out running errands this morning I was comparing my day with Rachel's day and realizing how what she is doing is much more challenging than my day.

I wake up, exercise, shower, eat, work, eat, go back to my room and then go to bed. Anything I need is a walk away. My meals are free and served up to me and don't even have to do the dishes. I can take a 15 minute long shower uninterrupted. I can sleep solid through a whole night. I get a few hours everyday to myself to do whatever I want. I can go for a walk, read, play a video game, go watch a movie for free, go rent a movie for free or go to the library. Sure I "work" 7 days a week, but I can walk away from work if I need a break. So, that's a quick look into my daily life.

We have three daughters and Rachel is pregnant with our fourth. My oldest daughter is Ellie, she is 6. Vayda is 5 and Willa is 2. Rachel gets out of bed every morning as early as I do and gets Ellie dressed, fed and ready for school. After  Ellie leaves for the bus stop, Vayda is awoken and prepared for school. After she is dressed Willa is woken up and she is dressed so she can tag along for the ride to school. My wife and both daughters go to preschool where Vayda is deposited for the day. By then it's only 0730. Once Rachel and Willa get home they both have breakfast. You'd think there is time to relax after the morning rush, but there's cleaning and laundry to do. This is also the best time to get shopping done while the other two are at school. After that is done it's time to prepare lunch then try to get Willa down for a nap before they have to leave to go get Vayda from school. When Willa is napping during the day is Rachel's first chance to get a break. Only if Willa sleeps and there are no more chores to do around the house. Once all the girls are back from school it's outside playtime and Rachel goes out so Willa can join them. Before they know it, its time for dinner and homework then it's getting everyone to bed. IF Willa decides to sleep early then Rachel may get an hour to herself. However, that hour is usually after 2100 and Rachel is so tired it may just be spent sleeping. But most of the time it's talking to me right after I get up at 0500 to say goodnight.

The work and care that Rachel puts into the family is something only the most loving and devoted Mother could do. I can't believe that I am lucky enough to have stumbled upon someone in my lifetime who is so amazing. Thank you for all that you do at home, Rachel, and I can't wait to come back home to be Dad and husband again. I love you.

No comments: